Quick Saffron and Seafood Rice with Chorizo
3 cups basmati rice
6 cups hot chicken stock
pinch of saffron threads or pinch of saffron powder
(in my case, I used one small sachet of saffron powder equivalent to a pinch as well)
1/2 pound large shrimps, shelled and deveined
1/2 pound squid, cut into 1/2 inch rings
1/2 cup pitted green olives
1 foot long link of chorizo, medium dice
1 large white onion, small dice
6 cloves garlic, minced
juice of half a lemon (to marinate shrimps and squid rings)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (for frying chorizo as well as sauteing the onions and basmati rice)
2 tablespoons butter (for sauteing the garlic, shrimps and squid separately)
salt and pepper to taste
lemon wedges (to serve on the side)
1/2 cup parsley, coarsely chopped (to sprinkle on top)
- Marinate shrimps and squid in lemon juice, salt and fresh cracked black pepper for 5 minutes.
- Put the saffron threads or saffron powder in hot chicken stock, stir and set aside.
- Place a large skillet (preferably a skillet with a bit of height) over medium heat and add olive oil. Fry diced chorizo until a bit of the fat renders in the pan and mixes in with the olive oil tinting it with a gorgeous red-orange colour. Remove fried chorizo bits from the oil and set aside.
- Add onions into the tinted oil and saute until soft. Add basmati rice and saute for 5 minutes just barely toasting it. And then pour the saffron infused hot chicken stock.
- Wait about 2 minutes for the mixture to boil before reducing heat to low to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is done (either preferred al dente or just perfectly tender but not mushy and overcooked).
- While the rice gently cooks, place a skillet over high heat, add butter and garlic. Saute garlic until fragrant and soft (but not browned) and add the marinated shrimps and squid along with the green olives. Saute for 3 minutes or until shrimp curls up and turns orange (do not over cook shrimps and squid or both will be tough and chewy… which will just ruin the dish). Set the sauteed seafood aside (still in the skillet).
- When rice is almost done, add the fried chorizo nuggets and sauteed shrimps and squid rings along with the bit of pan juices rendered. Toss the mixture with two forks.
- Top with chopped parsley.
- Serve with lemon wedges on the side.
Makes 8 servings
- littlefishyjes likes this
- skimmonsowns likes this
- madame-biddle reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- cupkake924 likes this
- seltsameseeds likes this
- shadowsbutterfly14 likes this
- ericakatzin1 likes this
- imkeepingthisawayfromyou likes this
- ermahgadmanboobs reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- ermahgadmanboobs likes this
- eat-shit-die-young reblogged this from theloungeatery
- theloungeatery reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- fuufuukittyfuck likes this
- temporaryfoodblogname reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- peaceloveandtequilaa likes this
- theurbaneater reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- lottavelin likes this
- srbrecipelog reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- narkissostgm likes this
- echoedmyron likes this
- jalopydactyl likes this
- rachiface likes this
- seelenfaengerin likes this
- deecuddler likes this
- platingitup likes this
- isli likes this
- aperture24 likes this
- godofscrumprecipes posted this