Fish Steak in Sriracha Escabeche
* Escabeche is a typical Mediterranean cuisine which refers to a dish of either poached or fried fish (escabeche of chicken, rabbit or pork is common in Spain) that is marinated in an acidic mixture before serving, and to the marinade itself. The dish is common in Spain and Latin America, and popular in Catalonia, Portugal, Provence and the Philippines. Influences of the dish appear as far as Asia-Pacific with adjustments to local food staples. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escabeche)
3 (1/3 pound each, 3/4 inch thick) fish steaks
(Mahi-Mahi/Yellow Fin or Ahi Tuna/whole Tilapia or Tilapia fillets)
salt and fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 canola oil (for pan-frying the fish and sauteeing vegetables)
1 cup carrots, julienned
2 Tablespoons ginger, julienned
1 large red onion, julienned
1 large tomato, deseeded and julienned
2 stalks spring onions, sliced diagonal
1/2 cup white vinegar (or white cane vinegar, if available)
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
1 Tablespoon Sriracha (or more according to taste and spice preference, also Optional)
1 1/2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
1/3 - 1/2 cup sugar (less or more according to taste)
salt and pepper (according to taste)
- Season both sides of fish steaks with salt and pepper and pan-fry in canola oil. When cooked, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan with the same oil used to pan-fry fish, saute ginger and onions for 2 minutes or until aromatics are fragrant. Add carrots and tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix all liquid (sauce) ingredients together and adjust seasonings according to preference.
- Pour escabeche sauce mixture in saute pan with vegetables. simmer sauce until slightly thickened.
- Place fish steaks on a serving dish and pour sauce over. Garnish with sliced spring onions.
Goddess of Scrumptiousness Food Photography and Original Recipes by Jeannie Maristela are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at goddessofscrumptiousness.tumblr.com
- battlemedicmathis reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- madame-biddle reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- cupkake924 likes this
- accioyourlips reblogged this from homecookedcuisine
- homecookedcuisine reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- feedingelibelly reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- nudgenudgenudge likes this
- temporaryfoodblogname reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- escritordeluz likes this
- isli likes this
- buddhas-bicycle likes this
- esperanzainfirenze likes this
- missmarycherry likes this
- aperture24 likes this
- godofscrumprecipes posted this