Strawberry-Balsamic Cherry Swirl Lemon Curd Ice Cream
For the Lemon Curd
6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornflour/cornstarch
1 1/3 cups water
pinch of salt
zests of 2 lemons
1/3 cup lemon juice
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar together. Mix and dissolve cornstarch and pinch of salt in water then combine these two mixtures together and cook in a sauce pan over low heat.
- Continue whisking the egg custard mixture until thickened. Turn off heat and whisk in the lemon juice.
- Transfer lemon curd in a bowl and cover the surface with cling film (making sure the cling film is touching the surface of the lemon curd) and cool at room temperature. Set aside.
For the Strawberry-Balsamic Cherry Jam
4 cups fresh or frozen strawberries, hulled and sliced into quarters
1 cup Maraschino cherries, stemmed and sliced in halves
2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
juice of 1/2 lemon
2/3 cup sugar
- In a sauce pan, put all ingredients together and cook until mixture gets slightly thick, the consistency should be a like a runny jam.
note: As jam cools it will get more thick, so a bit of a runny jam consistency is what you want when you remove the mixture from heat to cool.
- Cool jam at room temperature. Set aside.
For the Ice Cream Base
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- With a whisk or electric hand mixer, beat on medium speed the milk, cream and cooled lemon curd until slightly aerated.
- Fold in half of the jam mixture into the ice cream mixture and continue to beat but on low (hand mixer) speed just enough to make a homogenized mixture.
- Swirl the remaining jam throughout the ice cream mixture as gently as you can with a kitchen spoon or rubber spatula.
- Either transfer the ice cream mixture in an ice cream maker (check settings and instructions) or (for those without an ice cream machine) put ice cream mixture in a rectangular container, freeze for 2-2 1/2 hours until slightly frozen and beat the mixture again with a hand or stand mixer. Transfer the whipped (almost soft-serve in consistency) mixture back in the freezer until well set and ready to eat.
Makes 6 cups
Goddess of Scrumptiousness Food Photography and Original Recipes by Jeannie Maristela are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at goddessofscrumptiousness.tumblr.com
- hyrulians likes this
- 0nna-noko reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- thegiftoffood reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes and added:
- norpengirl likes this
- laurenelissa likes this
- savageposeidon likes this
- dominicperri likes this
- gigibluenyc likes this
- bonjourpeachy reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- bonjourpeachy likes this
- aleksanderthegreat reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- madame-biddle reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- ermahgadmanboobs reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- ermahgadmanboobs likes this
- recipesforweightloss2013 reblogged this from inspirationandmotivationforme
- sharp-exhale likes this
- taryneanthony likes this
- ourworldofchances likes this
- refsforbaybay reblogged this from baybay--shushi
- merciessent reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- narkissostgm likes this
- elizabeth-the-lamb-of-columbia reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- frankiemmmmk likes this
- canapes-for-breakfast reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- mooklunla likes this
- isli likes this
- damselglorify likes this
- cosmiccornflake reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes and added:
- gretelitaa likes this
- kimmykimmymore likes this
- alcke3ma likes this
- innocence-of-dawn likes this
- baybay--shushi reblogged this from godofscrumprecipes
- wishesinthemoonlight likes this
- johnmariscos likes this
- lillyxbill likes this
- delishytown likes this
- mariposaduende likes this
- pixandum likes this
- godofscrumprecipes posted this