BARBECUED SHRIMPS AND CHEDDAR CHEESE SPAGHETTI
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
3 tablespoons cider vinegar or red cane vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons tabasco or any hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Coarse salt and cracked black pepper to taste
1 1/2 pounds large shrimps, shelled and deveined
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for greasing the grill pan)
Cheddar Cheese Spaghetti:
1/2 pound spaghetti
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
pinch of nutmeg
salt and white pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, just about a minute. Stir in the ketchup, soy sauce, cider vinegar, brown sugar, honey, hot sauce, dried thyme and cayenne pepper. Simmer over low heat for 40 minutes or until thickened.
2. Transfer the barbecue sauce to a blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Pour half of the sauce into a bowl (to use for brushing the shrimps before grilling) and reserve the other half (to serve on the side).
3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once the water is boiling add a decent amount of salt. Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta well and drizzle a bit of oil and toss well.
4. In a large saute pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the half-and-half and shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce slightly thickened. Add a pinch of nutmeg, cayenne pepper, salt and white pepper (according to taste). Finish the sauce with the finely chopped parsley. Add the spaghetti onto the pan of cheese sauce and toss well.
5. Put 3 shrimps on each skewer.
6. Preheat a grill pan. Brush the shrimps on both sides with the barbecue sauce. Grease the grill pan with vegetable oil. Grill the shrimps over moderate heat, turning once, about 30 seconds per side (shrimps are very delicate and cooks fast).
7. Transfer the shrimp skewers to a plate. Serve with the Cheddar Cheese Spaghetti.