Pavlova with Whipped Lemon Curd, Cream and Balsamic Macerated Strawberries
For the Meringue Base
4 egg whites (from large eggs)
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 teaspoons raspberry or sherry vinegar
2 Tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
* half of a lemon (unsqueezed, to rub the mixing bowl with before whipping the egg white, makes the egg whites aerate better)
- Preheat oven to 400”F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Start with a very clean, grease-free mixing bowl. Rub the lemon along the inside of the mixing bowl. Place the egg whites and cream of tartar in the mixing bowl. With an electric mixer (hand or tabletop) whisk on medium speed until egg whites form firm peaks.
- With the mixer still running, gradually add the confectioner’s sugar. turn the mixer speed up to the highest setting until the meringue is white and glossy (5-7 minutes).
- Decrease the speed of the mixer and mix-in the vinegar and cornflour until well incorporated.
- Place all the meringue on the prepared baking sheet lined with parchment. Make an 8-inch round, 2 1/2-inch thick mound and smooth the surface of the meringue with an off-set spatula.
- Bake at 400’F for 12-15 minutes or until meringue puffs up and gets lightly browned on the outside. Then decrease the oven temperature to 350’F and bake for 20-25 minutes more. Turn off oven and leave the meringue inside until the oven gets cool (the baking at high temperature for the first 15 minutes of baking time and leaving the meringue inside a turned-off oven is crucial so that the outside is crunchy and the inside to be soft and marshmallowy).
For the Lemon Curd
4 egg yolks (from large eggs)
1 cup granulated sugar
juice of 2 lemons
zest of 2 lemons
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cubed
- With the exception of the butter, put all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk.
- Place the mixing bowl with the egg yolk-lemon mixture over a double boiler. Make sure that the bottom of the mixing bowl does not touch the boiling water under it or else you will scramble the eggs. Add the cold cubes of butter while whisking the lemon curd.
- Whisk until the mixture thickens (8-10 minutes) and becomes light yellow in color.
- Place the bowl of lemon curd over a bowl of ice water. Continue whisking the mixture until it cools and becomes whipped. Chill in the fridge. Just before assembling the Pavlova, whip again with a wire whisk.
For the Whipped Cream Topping
4 cups whipped cream
For the Macerated Strawberries
4 cups sliced strawberries
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
- Combine all 3 ingredients and let the strawberries macerate in the the balsamic vinegar and sugar.
To Assemble Pavlova
- Turn the meringue upside-down.
- Spread the well chilled whipped lemon curd on the bottom. Then spoon and spread the whipped cream.
- Top with the balsamic macerated strawberries. And garnish with whole strawberries.
Makes 8 servings.