Dark Chocolate Chips and Banana Muffins
5 cups all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
1 1/2 cups sifted confectioner’s sugar
4 Tablespoons baking powder
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375’ F. Line 2 medium size muffin pans with cupcake paper liners.
- Sift first 6 of the dry ingredients 3 times then mix in the dark chocolate chips. Set aside.
- Beat all wet ingredients in another bowl then pour wet mixture over the dry mixture.
- Gently and quickly mix the batter. *Muffin and quickbread batters should always be lightly mixed, over-mixing this kind of batter will result to tougher and heavier muffins/quickbreads. A quick mixing and a lumpy batter is ideal since it makes muffins and quickbreads more lighter and tender.
- To get uniform size muffins, use an ice cream scooper (I used a regular large size scooper) and scoop batter onto prepared and lined muffin pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until muffins are lightly golden brown and when cake tester (or even a toothpick) inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
Makes 24 medium size muffins
Mango and Almond Muffins
Preheat oven at 375’F, line a 12-cup medium muffin tin with baking paper.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup mangoes, small diced
2/3 cup dried mangoes, chopped
2/3 cup flaked almonds
1/4 cup melted butter
1 large egg
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon zest
-Sift together all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the diced fresh mangoes into the flour mixture and gently stir until mangoes are coated with flour.
-Mix together the dried mangoes and flaked almonds. Put half of it into the flour mixture and save half of it to top the muffins before baking.
-In another bowl, mix melted butter, egg, sour cream, evaporated milk, vanilla and lemon zest.
-Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and lightly and briefly mix.
-Use a large ice cream scoop to fill each muffin cup with batter.
-Sprinkle the remaining half of the dried mango-almond mixture over each unbaked muffin.
-Bake for 20-25 minutes or when cake tester or toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean.
Makes 12 muffins
MIXED BERRIES AND YOGURT MUFFINS
These muffins are just perfect to put in brown bags and eaten any time of the day, specially at breakfast. Because these got everything- yogurt, mixed berries (blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries… a very berry overload I must say!) and carbs IN THE FORM OF WICKED LOOKING MUFFINS! :D
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup softened unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
zest of 1 lemon
2 cups plain yogurt
1/2 cup strawberry or blackberry jam
4 cups *mixed berries (blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries)
- *you can use frozen mixed berries, just thaw it and drain before incorporating it to the muffin batter.
1. Preheat oven to 375’F. Line muffin pans with paper liners for 24-28 medium muffins or 18-20 jumbo muffins.
2. Sift together, flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Cream softened butter and sugar. Then add eggs one at a time.
4. Add the vanilla and almond extracts plus the zest of 1 lemon.
5. Mix in the strawberry or blackberry jam and plain yogurt.
6. Pour yogurt mixture over the flour mixture and briefly stir the muffin batter. And finally gently fold-in the mixed berries.
7. Using a large ice cream scooper, scoop muffin batter into prepared muffin pans.
8. Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, and until golden brown. For jumbo muffins, bake for 28-35 minutes. Let cool on wire racks.
Note: Muffins can be frozen. Just wrap by 2’s or 3’s in tin foil and place in ziploc bags. Store in the deep freeze for a month.
Makes 28 medium muffins