Kimchi Fried Rice, Kimchi Kimbap and Hawker Style Shrimp Balls
KIMCHI FRIED RICE
2 tablespoons canola oil
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup kimchi, chopped
4 cups cooked white rice
7 grams chicken stock powder (can substitute 1 1/2 teaspoon of chicken stock concentrate)
2 teaspoons sushi and sashimi soy sauce (or light soy sauce)
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
2 eggs, beaten
In a large pan or wok on medium-high heat, saute chopped garlic in canola oil for 10 seconds. Add kimchi and saute for another 10 seconds.
Add the cooked rice making sure to break the lumps. Season the rice with chicken stock powder, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil and cracked black pepper.
Toss and cook fried rice for 10 minutes, then turn off heat and immediately pour the beaten eggs over rice, stir and toss. Serve hot with shredded nori and thinly sliced omelette.
* Kimchi Kimbap *
Kimchi Fried Rice
Sliced Fried Spam (luncheon meat or ham is also good)
- Place nori sheet on cling or sushi mat, spread kimchi fried rice, 2 (3/4 inch in diameter sticks) of fried spam and sliced omelette.
- Roll sushi tightly and cut into 1 inch slices.
Hawker Style Shrimp Balls
1 pound raw shrimps, shelled, deveined and heads and tails removed
juice of 1/2 lime (or lemon)
2 Tablespoons spring onions, roughly sliced
1 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes (optional)
2 teaspoons oyster sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
canola oil (enough to reach half the height of your fry pan) for frying
wedges of lime or lemon to serve
- Blitz all ingredients together in a food processor.
- Chill shrimp ball mixture inside the fridge for 30 mins.
- Heat canola oil in fry pan over medium-high heat.
- Using 2 spoons, scoop 1 tablespoon each of shrimp mixture and form into irregular shaped balls.
- Fry in oil until golden.
- Serve with lime or lemon wedges on the side.