Smoky Baked Potato Wedges with Hickory Smoked Bacon served with Spanish Red
1 large potato (1/2 pound), scrubbed, unpeeled, quartered and boiled in slightly salted water until tender
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon good quality dijon mustard, Maille Fine de Dijon
2 Tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon Spanish sweet smoked paprika, Pimenton Dulce de la Vera
1/2 cup grated manchego cheese (or can substitute gruyere or swiss cheese), divided into 2 (1/4 cup), 1/4 cup to mix in the mash, 1/4 to sprinkle on top of the potatoes
salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
1/4 cup crisp hickory smoked bacon bits
1 Tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- While potatoes are still hot, scoop the flesh and put in a bowl.
- Mash potatoes and mix in extra virgin olive oil, softened cream cheese, dijon mustard, milk, Spanish sweet smoked paprika, chives, grated cheese and season with salt and pepper (to taste).
- Spoon mixture on potato skin wedges, top with the remaining grated cheese and a few bits of bacon.
- Bake in a 375’F oven for 12-15 minutes or until cheese has melted and tops are browned.
- Top with remaining bacon bits and a few dashes of paprika (pimenton).
Makes 1-2 servings
Rustic Style Roasted Potatoes with Roasted Garlic Chips and Sea Salt
2 large potatoes, scrubbed, unpeeled, and cut either into 1-inch triangles or medium diced, then par-boiled in lightly salted water
5 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Fresh or dried herbs like thyme and rosemary (optional)
cracked black pepper
coarse sea salt
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
sour cream (on the side and optional)
Preheat oven to 375’F. Line a baking sheet with either foil or parchment paper (for easy clean-up).
-In a mixing bowl, place par-boiled potatoes, thinly sliced garlic, extra virgin olive oil and season with cracked black pepper. Toss everything together until all the pieces of potatoes and slivers of garlic are coated with the olive oil.
-Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.
-Roast for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and golden, and the slices of garlic turn into crunchy chips.
-While still fairly warm, sprinkle chopped parsley and season (to taste) with coarse sea salt.
Makes 3-4 servings